Updates on my father’s health
My father, Ed Maranan, is a poet, playwright, essayist, activist. His pen has contributed to the wealth of Philippine literature, but today he is stricken by a number of ailments, most dire of which is end-stage idiopathic liver cirrhosis; all conservative therapeutic measures are being administered at this time but with consideration for shunting and possible liver transplant. Your prayers, well wishes and donations are deeply appreciated. May your kind hearts be blessed a thousandfold. Maraming salamat!
- 28 March 2018: Ed is requesting that visits resume next week. He tires easily, has trouble breathing, and is experiencing dizziness and chest discomfort.
- 15 March 2018, 4:13 pm: Our family would like to thank all the friends, colleagues, and relatives near and far who have generously responded to the call for support in his crucial battle with end-stage liver disease. We are deeply grateful for your generosity. Our family is very happy to report that for now, Ed will be able to go home. In relation to this piece of good news, we are pausing our fundraising efforts at present, until his doctor determines the next steps. His doctor has cautioned us, however: his present condition is stable but guarded, and requires close, regular monitoring to prevent rapid deterioration. He is being discharged tentatively while waiting for the availability of a shunt device and determination of eligibilty for liver transplant. However, he will continue to undergo diagnostic tests and conservative medical treatment. He faces an uncertain fate owing to the nature and severity of his illness. Rest assured that your donations are extremely valued and will be kept in trust for his care. We will keep you posted on his medical condition.
- 14 March 2018, 6:13 pm: Ed’s condition is currently stable but is being monitored daily for any deterioration. He remains hospitalized under close watch of his attending physician. We thank all dear friends, colleagues, and our relatives who cherish him and keep him in their thoughts and prayers as he fights this lonely and difficult battle.
- 12 March 2018, 10:12 pm: Ed’s doctors are reviewing his case to see what the next steps are. In the meantime, Ed is in confined in the hospital.
- 11 March 2018, 3:07 am: Ed is stable at the moment with his (many) meds and closer monitoring by his doctors and caregivers/relatives. Other tests and updates being done. The liver shunt will be done ASAP; shunt ordered already from overseas. He seems relaxed.
- 10 March 2018, 10:09 am: Ed urgently needs a stent to his liver, and potentially a liver transplant. The procedures are estimated to cost 5 million pesos (about US $20,000). Writing has been his sole avocation and source of livelihood, and his medical bills are beyond what his and his family’s resources can afford. We are asking close friends and colleagues to come to his aid at this dire moment. Every peso counts, and will be gratefully acknowledged.
Fundraising and expenses updates
If you would still like donate, click here to get bank details and learn how to make a donation.